Sunday, April 8, 2012

Oak Barrel Half-Marathon

Yesterday was the Oak Barrel Half-Marathon, which is my favorite road race, period.  The race is in Lynchburg, TN and is sponsored by Jack Daniel's.  The race runs through the very scenic Moore County, which has alot of creeks, streams, farmland and rolling hills.  The course has a pretty challenging hill, called "Whiskey Hill", that is roughly a mile long starting around mile 4.  After mile 5, the course is primarily a gradual downhill run with a few rolling hills scattered around. 

Lynchburg is proud of this race, which is now in it's 3rd year.  Hundreds of spectators come out to volunteer on cheer on the runners.  Driving in to this race, there are always signs in people's yards and at local stores welcoming runners into town.  There's nothing like the atmosphere at Oak Barrel.  At the finish line, you get a finisher's medal that is cut from the oak barrels they use to make Jack Daniel's whiskey.  The festivities at the finish line are incredible.  There is a live band, good food (especially the Brunswick stew), and of course the distillery where you can take the tour or get a custom engraved commemorative bottle of Jack Daniel's, with your name, finish time, and the race logo.

We ran this race as part of our marathon training, and pretty much just for fun.  It was a perfect morning to run, about 50 degrees at the race start.  I made a point to take it easy early on, at least until I topped Whiskey Hill.  In the 2011 race, I had to walk a little on the hill, but surprisingly this year I didn't have to.  I ran pretty easily until about mile 11.  I felt pretty good then, and pushed the pace down the rest of the way in.  I finished in 2:14, Bill in 2:02.  My cousin Heath and his wife also ran it; it was his first 1/2 marathon, and I was glad to be there for that.  

I absolutely love this race, and I'll run it every year that I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment