Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Coyote's Don't Bite (Humans)

Monday was President's Day, and so there weren't very many people around work.  I went for a 5 mile run that evening.  About 4 miles in, a coyote popped out of the trees about 50 feet in front of me.  That's the first time I'd ever been that close that I'd been to a coyote other than in a car or hunting, so I was kinda scared for a minute.  Usually, that path is covered with runners and cyclists, but now it's just this coyote and me.  At first, we both stopped and stared at each other for a few seconds.  I didn't want to run away from it, because I didn't want it to chase me.  After a few seconds, I started to run towards the coyote, it actually ran away from me.  It was pretty funny.  Whenever I got close to it, it would run away and then just stop and stare.  I eventually started running away from it, but kept looking back to make sure it wasn't following me.  I'm not really sure what I could have done if it decided to chase me, but thankfully, it didn't try.

After I got home, I did some research and found that they rarely attack humans, but do sometimes chase them.  According to Wikipedia, there have only been 2 fatalities from coyotes.

No comments:

Post a Comment